Jackie French (much loved and celebrated children’s author) once said;
“If you want a magic potion to make your kids brighter? Give them books.”
I’ve made a pretty big effort to instill a love of reading in my boys and even though they are only just on the cusp of being able to read themselves they will often chose to find a quiet spot to curl up with a book and flick through it. H is gaining enough confidence to read some of the simpler books to his littlest brother (though Charlie rarely appreciates his efforts)
So it is with their help I thought I’d share our current favorite early childhood and young children’s books in honor of book week 2016.
- Possum Magic by Mem Fox & Julie Vivas
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle- isn’t this such a classic, it never gets old! But I maintain the butterfly at the end is upside down!!
- Where is the Green Sheep by Mem Fox & Judy Horacek- my favorite- this is the book I try to keep a copy of in my gift cupboard to give as a gift to new babies
- The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton (we also love The Enchanted Wood and The Folk of the Faraway Tree) This book we read in installments and brought back so many memories of reading it as a young girl, plus the boys absolutely adored it
- Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell- this is one for younger kids, but my 6 year old loves to read it himself
- Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy by Lynley Dodd
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler – this pair have made some absolutely delightful children’s books, The Gruffalo is another of our top books
- The Very Itchy Bear by Nick Bland (or any of this series, which are laugh out loud funny)
- Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas by Aaron Blabey- this book is a little rude but the boys love it and have read it over and over since they received it as a birthday present
- Wombat Stew by Marcia Vaughan & Pamela Lofts- another Aussie classic
- Oh the Places You’ll Go- Dr Seuss
- There’s a Hippopotamus On Our Roof Eating Cake by Hazel Edwards- I loved this as a child!
- The Wonky Donkey by Craig Smith & Katz Cowley- this is another slightly rude book but as I have boys I had best get used to that!!
- That’s not my… by F. Watt & R. Wells, we have several in this series- currently in our rotation is ‘That’s not my dinosaur’, the textures are lots of fun for babies and the big boys love showing their brother the “feely bits”
- Duck, Duck,Goose by Michaela Blassnig- this is another funny rhyming book that the boys can now read themselves- it’s got the word ‘poo’ in it so is a winner with the boys.
- Ten Little Dinosaurs by Mile Brownlow Simon Rickerty- this comes in Princess and Pirate versions as well and is a fun rhyming book that helps with numbers and counting too.
So there you have it, that’s a pretty comprehensive list of the books that are on high rotation at our house! What’s your favorite kids book, what did you love as a child?